Current Engineers, Prospective and Aspiring Engineers can apply for membership in AFEW.
AN AFEW MEMBER's PROMISE:
As a member of AFEW, I promise
• To attend AFEW meetings and events
• To prepare for and fulfill my assignments
• To help AFEW maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow
• To serve AFEW as an officer when called upon to do so
• To treat my fellow AFEW members and our guests with respect and courtesy
• To recruit new members and bring guests to AFEW meetings so they can see the benefits of AFEW membership to offer.
• To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all AFEW educational and recognition programs
• To act within AFEW’s core values of integrity, respect, service and excellence during the conduct of all AFEW activities
Advice to upcoming AFEW Officers:
1. Attend AFEW officer's training.
This training will be developed by incumbent AFEW officers.
2. Do some self-training.
Connect with other members via social media outlets. Visit different organizations to observe how other officers perform their duties. Search the internet for useful blogs or documents about your position.
3. Seek mentoring from former officers.
Ideally, meet with your immediate predecessor to make a smooth transition.
4. Just do it!
In AFEW you “learn by doing.” Don’t fear making a mistake. Most mistakes can be corrected. Take your role seriously enough to commit to it but lightly enough to allow yourself some slack if something goes wrong.
5. Resist doing another officer’s job.
While some roles overlap, clearly define where your responsibilities end and where another officer’s begins. Coordinate and delegate.
6. Attend AFEW officer meetings.
Even if you think your role is quiet or not visible, the other officers should know the status of your efforts.
7. Enlist an assistant or team
When the workload increases or if you will be unavailable to perform your duties. The benefit? You train a successor in the process!
One-time $50 lifetime fee.
AFEW has numerous virtual and safe in-person events ranging from online trainings, online, community service events, etc. We also provide numerous programs throughout the year to assist Engineers' Careers.
The Association of Filipino American Engineers of Washington provides numerous opportunities for Mentorship, Trainings, Leadership Opportunities, Community Service Opportunities, Career Opportunities, and many more.